Piemonte is the Alpine region par excellence: the name evokes planes and hills running up to the feet of high mountains and passes covered with snow. It is a frontier and passageway region, open to commercial and cultural influences, contaminations and connections. This heritage can be found in the actual strategic position of its infrastructures and facilities. Piemonte is located between Northern Europe and the Mediterannean basin, at the crossroads with the two main continental axes: the Pan European Corridor V (Lisboa-Lubik-Kiew) and the Two Seas Railway Corridor (Genoa-Rotterdam).
41% of the territory is made of imposing alpine chains of international standing, a true paradise for winter sports and nature lovers, not by chance host of the Torino 2006 Winter Olympic Games. 32% is occupied by the famous Monferrato, Langhe and Roero hills, homelands of internationally appreciated wines. The remaining 27% is plane, producer of top class agricultural products and rices, this last cultivation being mainly concentrated in the Vercelli and Novara provinces. The North Eastern area of the region hosts the amazing Lago Maggiore and Lago d’Orta, tourist locations cherished all over Europe.